Need help with frustrating security levels!

SBJ February 26, 2018

Dear Sir, Madam,

It's the first time in ages since I've used Jira and this time around, I'm the one having to configure it for a department in our company. Most of the configuration goes well, but if it comes to security levels, I just can't get it to work properly.

I'm using the latest cloud version and it is a trial at the moment, but once setup and demonstrated, the purchase will be initiated.

The concept is as follows (and quite simple):

• Jira is used only internally, so no customers will make use of it;
  • There are several projects of importance: applications (jobs), internal affairs and IT.

The aforementioned former two projects–applications and internal affairs–should only be accessible by the CEO of the company along with some other relevant people, as this contains information that should not be viewed by anyone but them–understandably so.

As such, these projects should preferably be invisible, based on project instead of issue.

More of these projects will be made, such as other finances-related ones, so it is an important step in setting up.

---

I attempted the following steps:

1. Create a user group named 'Management';
  2. Create a project role named 'Management - Projects';
  3. Add a new issue security scheme named 'Restricted - Management Only';
  4. Add a new security level named 'Management' and set it as default.

It is at this point where I'm completely lost, and the documentation for version 7.3 doesn't seem to cover this particular approach.

Any advice or better approach would be greatly appreciated!

Yours sincerely,

Alain

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

Take a step back.  Issue security is for hiding issues within projects.

You need to hide entire projects, so you should be doing this in the project permission scheme.

Look specifically at the "browse" permission, it is likely to say "Browse: role User".  Go into the project's "people" section and look at who is in the role of "user".  Remove the users or groups that should not see the project.

SBJ February 26, 2018

I see. My approach seems to be all wrong indeed.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Have a nice day!

Suggest an answer