Need help with automation, why is this rule not executing?

Fernando Estrada December 7, 2022

Hey everybody, 

I am trying to make a rule that will comment on an issue when it is linked. We already have a rule that links issues, and is working fine, and I'd need my rule to execute when that automation happens. The "allow rule trigger" box is checked. 

image.png

Above is the rule that clones and links the issues (this part is working and has been for a long time) and the link issue is set to "relates to most recently created issue."

image.png

Above is the rule that I would expect to leave a comment in response to previous rule executing, but as I said, it's never executing (as in, the rule doesn't fail, it just doesn't run at all)

Thanks in advance!!

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vamsi Kandala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2022

Hi @Fernando Estrada

I have tested out the scenario and it is working for me.

As suggested by @Bill Sheboy, the link types should match in order for the second automation rule to trigger immediately.

Here is what I did:

Rule 1:

• When issue transitioned from one status to another
  • Clone issue (same project and same issue type)
  • Link issue to (most recently created issue and selected 'is cloned by')

Rule 2:

• When issue linked (selected 'Link types' as 'Cloners')
  • Add comment to issue
  • Checked the 'Allow rule trigger'

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Vamsi

0 votes
Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2022

Hi @Fernando Estrada 

I would suggest to reach out to Atlassian Support.

Best regards

Maksim

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2022

Hi @Fernando Estrada 

Have you confirmed the link type in your trigger matches what is happening in the issue?

If you are unable to modify the source rule (which is a good idea for this use case), why not clone it, disable the source rule, and add the comment?

Have you confirmed the rule's scoping?  For example, is the first rule a multi-project rule, and perhaps it does not include the project where your second rule is defined.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

Hi @Fernando Estrada,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Make sure that you have checked Allow rule trigger under details, this is needed if you have an automation that is triggered by another one, like in your case.

Rule trigger.png 

Hey Mikael, that box has been checked since the beginning 😕. 

0 votes

Something to add - We do not have access to modify the rule that clones and links the issue. It occurred to me that it would be easier to add the "add comment" action to the cloning rule, but sadly that is not an option. Thanks!

Suggest an answer