Need help with JQL query subtasks and linked issues

Jenifer Kuntz July 24, 2014

I have a parent issue with subtasks attached. The subtasks have linked issues that are at the parent level (bugs)

I am trying to write JQL to find the parent issue where all its subtask are closed and all the subtasks linked issue are closed. I am able to get the part where all the subtasks are closed, it is the link part that I am having issues with.

This is what I am using for the first part -

project = "PJM Maintenance" AND issuefunction in parentsOf("issuefunction in subtasksOf(\"issuefunction not in parentsOf('type in subTaskIssueTypes() and status != closed') and status != closed and type in standardIssueTypes()\") and status = closed")

I have script runner installed.

Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2014

Jennifer: If you tag your question with script runner tag I am much more likely to respond.

Justin: Script Runner has all the jql functionality that that plugin has, and is free.

If you start by getting the second part right and saving it as a filter. Then use "in parentsOf("filter = 12345") ", that should work.

It's hard to nest several levels as you can't escape quotes in the jql search.

2 votes
WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2014

Hi Jenifer - I have seen other Atlassian customers do what you are looking to do using the Search Linked Issues Plugin. This plugin provides some JQL functions like subtaskIssuesFromFilter() and subtaskIssuesFromQuery() that I think may be worth looking into.

0 votes
Andrey Markelov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2014

Hi Jenifer, there is free add-on: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ru.andreymarkelov.atlas.plugins.utils

With functions:

• Issues subtasks JQL Function. This is JQL function "issuesSubtasks(?)" which returns list of issues that are subtasks of all issues in JQL query ?.

• Issues parents JQL Function. This is JQL function "issuesParents(?)" which returns list of issues that are parents of all issues in JQL query ?.

Suggest an answer