Need help to copy custom field values to another for 120K issues

Kent Chiu April 27, 2022

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone from the community can help or give me a pointer to do copying custom field values to another custom field without having to keep clicking and rerun it every 100 issues in the Jira cloud.

I have around 120K issues that I need to copy one custom field to another in the same issue.  I am trying to use the ScriptRunner build-in script for copying field values. However, it only can do 100 issues at a time.  This is not a viable solution since it will take 1200 times to click the Run button to rerun the script. Each run can only process 100 issues and takes 240 seconds. That means it will take 80 hours continuously clicking the RUN button to rerun the script to complete all the issues.

Is there another way to automate this process?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Kent

2 answers

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

I would think that the built-in Jira Automation could help you do this.

By using a Manual Trigger, you can specify the JQL to identify a set of issues, and then operate on each of those issue.

Based on what I see, automation can process at most 50,000 issues. I wouldn't go that far, maybe target 5,000 to 10,000 per run, which still makes it feasible manually.

Be sure to review any other automation limits you might run into, based on your Jira plan.

I'd start with maybe 1000 to see how long it takes, and adjust to stay under the threshold for "rules that run too long and trigger throttling".

Kent Chiu April 28, 2022

Thank you Mykenna for your suggestion. I am not sure how we can limit the JQL result to a certain amount of issues to process such as 5000. I don't recall there is a conditional statement in JQL that limit the return result. 

In JIRA Server, there is a setting where we can limit the JQL result. But I am not aware in JIRA Could.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2022

Hi @Kent Chiu

you might want to have a look at JXL for Jira, the app that my team is working on. JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing and inline-editing all your issue fields - either individually, or in bulk, using copy/paste.

This is how this looks in action:

bulk-copy-paste.gif

This works across any issue fields, so it would be trivial to copy the values from A to B, and then clear A. In JXL, you can do this operation with any number of issues in one operation, so you should be done with your work in no time.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes | https://jxl.app

Kent Chiu April 28, 2022

Thank you Hannes for your suggestion. I'll take a look at JXL.

Suggest an answer