Need help on tracking defects in a fast phase iterative method

Ajay August 5, 2017

Hi,

Im working in a iterative model. So we have builds to QA every week.

Developer marks Status as Developed or Verify once they fix the issue. Im able to fetch the Developed or Verify issues through JIRA query. My concern is, how do we fetch only the Developed or Verify issues upto a current date.

Say ex:

1)If the project is dropped to QA on Aug 1

2)QA rises bug from Aug 1 to 7. Dev fixes parallely.

3)Releases second iteration to QA by Aug 8

4) QA tests the next iteration fom Aug 8 to 15. Dev fixes parallely.

5)Releases third iteration to QA by Aug 16..... and goes on

Now I need to track only the developed or verify issues in the second iteration and then third iteration etc. How can I do that?

1 answer

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2017

Hi Ajay,

The query languague of JIRA (JQL) is very powerful and therefor you can query based on things that happened on a certain date or during a particular period.

Checkout the article I wrote about it: Becoming a JIRA Search Ninja - History searches in JIRA

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

Ajay August 6, 2017

Hi Maarten, Thanks for your reply :)

The article is very helpful in understanding the query language. 

I have a doubt though:

In our project, let's say QA is doing the first cycle testing in first three iterations. QA will not verify the JIRA tickets that are marked "Developed" or "Verify" in the second or third iteration and only will do in the fourth iteration(which is literally the second cycle to QA)

Now, how do I track the Developed or Verify issues in Iteration 3?

Ajay August 6, 2017

Query language I used is:
For Iteration 2
project = "ProjectName" AND (Status WAS "Developed"  DURING ("Iteration 1 Start Date", "Iteration 1 End Date") OR Status WAS "Verify"  DURING ("Iteration 1 Start Date", "Iteration 1 End Date"))
--> This fetched the tickets that are Developed or Verify between Iteration 1 Start and End Dates. (Correct). But when this iteration is given to QA, they are not going to verify the issues. But will load the new build and test.

For Iteration 3:

project = "ProjectName" AND (Status WAS "Developed"  DURING ("Iteration 2 Start Date", "Iteration 2 End Date") OR Status WAS "Verify"  DURING ("Iteration 2 Start Date", "Iteration 2 End Date"))

--> This fetched the tickets that are Developed or Verify between Iteration 1 Start and Iteration 2 End Dates. (InCorrect). Because, QA didnt verify and moved the issues to complete that are fixed in Iteration 2. Now, I only need the issues that are marked Developed during Iteration 2 start and end dates? How do i do that?
Ajay August 6, 2017

Query language I used is:
For Iteration 2:
project = "ProjectName" AND (Status WAS "Developed" DURING ("Iteration 1 Start Date", "Iteration 1 End Date") OR Status WAS "Verify" DURING ("Iteration 1 Start Date", "Iteration 1 End Date"))
--> This fetched the tickets that are Developed or Verify between Iteration 1 Start and End Dates. (Correct). But when this iteration is given to QA, they are not going to verify the issues. But will load the new build and test.
For Iteration 3:
project = "ProjectName" AND (Status WAS "Developed" DURING ("Iteration 2 Start Date", "Iteration 2 End Date") OR Status WAS "Verify" DURING ("Iteration 2 Start Date", "Iteration 2 End Date"))
--> This fetched the tickets that are Developed or Verify between Iteration 1 Start and Iteration 2 End Dates. (InCorrect). Because, QA didnt verify and moved the issues to complete that are fixed in Iteration 2. Now, I only need the issues that are marked Developed during Iteration 2 start and end dates? How do i do that?

Ajay August 14, 2017

Can anyone help me on this??

Suggest an answer