Need help making a custom field that increases numerically

Beverly Braham-Durica February 1, 2021

Hello Everyone,

I have a request to make a field for a Document ID. The requirements for creation of the issue, :

1. This field will be set as 5 digits so first issue would show 00001 and increase by 1 on every other issue for that specific issue type

2. the number would be followed by a dash and two letters that are static

So the final look of the field would be: 00001-XX and the next issue would be 00002-XX, and so on.

Any scripting help would be fantastic as I'm a novice with scripting.

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

I would stay well away from this, it's not really a good design.  I would turn the question on it's head, not necessarily asking "why this design", but "what are the benefits of having this document id?". 

The document is a Jira issue, which already has a unique ID that is more useful (you can search for it directly rather than in fuzzy text searches, construct a url for an issue from it, and it's displayed and used everywhere in Jira by default - the end of links, default searches, roadmaps, and and and)

I think the question here is whether there are any benefits to doing something this clunky?  What do your end users get from it?  They're not going to talk about this id when referring to issues, they're going to use the issue key.

I'm not saying "no", I'm just checking that it really is worth putting time into it before suggesting anything.

Beverly Braham-Durica February 2, 2021

Thanks Nic - that's exactly what I was looking for and was able to present the right solution using the Jira ID.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events