Need help customizing a Change Request project workflow.

Alex Prado March 1, 2021

Hi,

I am new to JIRA and my department would like to start using JIRA for Change Requests.

When I try to use the IT Service Management template, I can't seem to customize the workflow.

Should I create a workflow from scratch and abandon using the template?

Is there some way to make changes to the template, that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Alex

alex.prado.contractor@fujifilm.com

2 answers

0 votes
Alex Prado March 1, 2021

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Yes, I do see the "pen" icon, and yes, I'm the full Administrator.

Workflow Edit pen.JPG

I'm wondering if I need to create a Workflow from scratch, rather than use the Template.

This is what my boss envisioned as a workflow, if this helps explain my issue.

Jalisa LucidChart vision.png

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Well the pen icon should at least allow you to edit the current workflow.

When it comes to "use the template and adapt" compared to "make a new one" that depends on how far your flow is from the out of the box one.

Your workflow can be interpreted similar to the template one but you give it different names. To avoid confusion and stick to your own flow it might be best to create a new one.

The steps you have however are very similar, my translation of your flow to the template would be:

• "initial approval = peer review/change manager approval" 
  • "next approval" = could be the CAB
  • implementing that seems to be there 
  • Complete, also has a Done state
  • Closed

So the template is pretty similar to yours but rather than having to change the names or educate your people it might be easier and more efficient to draw up your own workflow with multiple approval steps.

Just keep in mind with change management which type of change you are implementing and whether you want to have a single flow for 

• Normal
  • Standard
  • Emergency

or if really want to split those up.

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi @Alex Prado ,

The workflows that come with JSM are mere templates so you should be able to customize them without an issue. (there is a default flow that you cannot change but not the Change Management one).

When you go to the "Project Settings" -> "Workflows" do you not see the "pen" icon?

image.png

Also, are you a full admin or just a project admin for this instance? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events