Need details on the hack to restrict issue creation

Gavin Carter May 17, 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to restrict the creation of epics in one of my projects to the admin group. But the validator is a little confusing and I can't get it to work.

The validator asks for a "user name parameter" - not really sure what to put in here.

There's also a null check - I'm not sure what to do with this since I don't understand why the username would be null. 

All I really want is to throw an error if a non-administrator tries to create an epic. I'm on the latest OnDemand JIRA and understand that only hacks are available to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2015

What validator are you trying to use here?

(By the way, as you're using OnDemand, no "hacks" are available because it's strongly restricted to stuff Atlassian will support.  As a plus, you're always on the latest stable version - Atlassian upgrade it for you)

Gavin Carter May 17, 2015

I'm trying to use the User Permission Validator. It does note that it's obsolete. I'm hoping that it being selectable means it's still functional.

"Validates that the user has a permission, where the OSWorkflow variable holding the username is configurable. Obsolete."

In terms of "hack" I just meant a roundabout way of getting a result. You'll see others refer to this method as a hack, such as here - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/161095

Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who gives the details I ask for above. Most people just seem to point the way to this validator.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2015

Right, don't try to use the permission validator. It's a hangover from JIRA 1, and does not really work in any useful way. At some point, it's going to go away. There is no way to use the validators in Cloud, as you can't implement any of the "hacks" that you'd need to do it.

Suggest an answer