Need clarification on using Jira Rest Java Client (JRJC) sdk and swagger generated jira code

Rukshan Perera January 5, 2022
Hi Atlassian Team,
We are planning to build an application which will use Jira Cloud APIs to get all projects, issues, comments, attachments, and worklogs from Jira cloud account.
As we know that Atlassian is about to descope all its Jira on-premise server support,  could you please provide your comments on below queries:

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

There's a bit more to it than the three questions, and it's easier to answer or explain in a different order to your questions:

• As we know that Atlassian is about to descope all its Jira on-premise server support
    • Yes, but not its Data Center support, where the REST APIs are the same as Server
  • APIs are different enough between Jira Server and Jira Cloud
    • Correct, JRJC has only been built for Server and Data Center APIs, Cloud is different.  The older API for Cloud is more similar to Server and you could use JRJC with a lot of it, but I wouldn't bother any more, the newer API is much better for Cloud.
  • Will Atlassian continue to provide support with its Jira Rest Java Client (JRJC) SDK
    • Atlassian do not provide support for JRJC.  It's an unsupported "product" that some of the team have developed and made available to us because they think it may be helpful.

So, given all of that,

George Lindholm June 20, 2022

Hi,
   I assume you mean v2 vs v3 API?
Given the v3 is in 'beta' (https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro/) what would be the advantage of moving to v3?
Is there a page somewhere that lists the differences?

Other than a trivial change to jrjc to address minor change to the session response object I haven't noticed problems hooking my fork of the Jira Mylyn connector to a cloud instance so I am wondering if it would be worth the effort to create a jcjc library to use?

Thanks
    George

Ben Kelley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2022

Note that we updated the Open API/Swagger spec since the original "Generating a REST Client for Jira Cloud" to make it easier to use with code generators. See https://blog.developer.atlassian.com/update-to-jira-clouds-swagger-openapi-docs/

The main difference between versions 2 and 3 is that version 3 uses Atlassian Document Format (ADF) for rich text, where as version 2 uses wiki text.

Suggest an answer