Need a little guidance with issues and issue types

Neil Ekins September 14, 2017

I've been working on a trail Jira Core for the last couple of weeks on and off and I'm still struggling with customisation of issues and issue types under projects.
I want to create a way for my staff to log issues reported from our various customers and then create a workflow:
Project "Customer Issue" workflow should be something like:
Create new ticket detailing issue
"Work on issue" (with details)
"Issue resolved with resolution details" or go back to "Work on issue"
"Close ticket"
I get so far and then get stuck or I make a mistake and have to delete & start again (unfortunately the setup information & documentation does not seem very intuitive).
Please can someone gude me through the process here?
Thanks
Neil Ekins

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Don't put the resolution on ANY screen except the one you show during the transition to set it. Resolution is required when presented so if it is on the create or edit screen it will be required regardless of the field configuration scheme.

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

When I started as an admin, I found this series of videos super helpful for learning how to create projects, issue types, workflows, custom fields, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NXmFqgPBo

(NOTE: the link is to part 1, but there are three videos in total - and yes, these are for JIRA v6.0 and the latest is v7.5, but the concepts are still generally the same. For any discrepancies you see, but sure to see the latest documentation for the version you might be on.)

The question your asking does require you to have the knowledge outlined in those videos, as what you're asking requires you to take the following steps:

1. Create a new issue type.
  2. Create an custom fields you want to use with the issue type.
  3. Create the screens needed when creating, editing, and viewing an issue type, as well as any screens you might want to see when transitioning from one status to another.
  4. Create a new workflow to be associated with the new issue type.
  5. Create or update the following types of schemes, then make sure these schemes are associated with the project needing the new issue type:
    1. Issue type scheme (update with new issue type so JIRA knows to include the new issue type in the project)
    2. Workflow scheme (where you'll tell JIRA which workflow to use for an issue type within a project)
    3. Issue type screen scheme and Screen scheme(s) (where you'll tell JIRA which screens to show when creating, editing, or viewing the new issue type)
    4. Field configuration and Field Configuration scheme (where you can set fields to always be required for a single issue type, etc.)

Hope this helps get you on the right path!

Suggest an answer