NOT (text ~ TEXT1 OR text ~ TEXT2) no longer working

Kevin Cauchi February 8, 2023

Previously I had this query:

(project in (12345)) AND (issuetype = Sub-task AND NOT (text ~ QA OR text ~ EOS ) )

It used to pick up subtask items from project 12345 which do not have QA or EOS in the text.

Now, this is no longer working. It is not giving an error, it just does not return any values.

Was there a recent change here? 

P.S. test !~ QA is an invalid syntax and removing NOT gives all items which have QA and EOS so clearly, the issue is with the NOT.

Many thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Cauchi February 14, 2023

Ok I found a workaround. I am now using Summary instead of Text.. seems text is very messy in terms of implementation

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

Hi @Kevin Cauchi 

It's always tricky using ~ operator and text field. I am not sure whether it even worked but I think you can use this workaround. (I believe filtering in another way e.g. label, component, custom field is more convenient though)

Run JQL : text ~ QA OR text ~ EOS and save it as a filter, name it QAorEOS (can be anything)

Then use JQL: project in (12345) AND issuetype = Sub-task AND filter not in (QAorEOS)

I am not sure what "filter" is referring to in that JQL, however I tried the above and it still returns QA or EOS with the rest of the items

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

Did you run the JQL and save it as a filter and ensure that you use filter not in ..

It refers to the issues which are not returned from the filter's JQL.

By the way, I tried it and it worked.

Yes I did.. however I tried a few things:

1. (project in (12345)) AND (issuetype = Sub-task AND FILTER NOT IN (QAorEOS)) - This returns the item
  2. (filter = "BAU & Delivery") AND (issuetype = Sub-task AND FILTER NOT IN (QAorEOS)) - This DOES NOT return the item
  3. filter = "BAU & Delivery" - This DOES return the item

It seems very inconsistent. However what happened to the how it was working before? It was working fine. Do we know if something was changed in JQL?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events