• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Mysql supporting features introduced in 5.7 for JIRA/Confluence latest version Edited

I am using JIRA application which is connected to Mysql 5.6. Planned to upgrade to latest and read release notes mysql 5.6 is deprecated.

I would like to know what are the new features provided in Mysql 5.7 respect to Jira / Confluence. That helps to create upgrade plan. 

General Mysql5.6 to 5.7 has only password and few data query mechanism changed. But would like to know changes made in JIra/Confluence ? Do I need to take precaution when migrating from 5.6 to 5.7 ?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Nov 22, 2020

Hi Pandiyan,

I understand your question is a way if there are some new features in MySQL 5.7 which could be beneficial for Jira or Confluence.
As we did this upgrade I must admit there is nothing we have encountered (either positive nor negative).

There is one culprit - absolutetely needed to consider otherwise strange errors are guaranteed:

When using MySQL 5.7 you must grant the Jira user the REFERENCES permission.

Further explanation and information is to be found here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html

A more general precaution is always to do backups (in this case probably using MySQL owns tooling like mysqldump).

Cheers,
Daniel

@Daniel Ebers Appreciate your reply, I am looking what are major changes happened between Mysql 5.6 to 5.7 or 8. Because Jira confluence support to mysql 5.6 is deprecated. 

Currently I have upgraded to 7.4 confluence, but as per atlassian its deprecated. So would like to what are things i will lose support with 5.6

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Nov 30, 2020

You can always compare on MySQL homepage. The deprecation of version is not always a deep technical consideration - it can be but this does not apply to every minor version number.
We had this consideration here lately.

You will probably not lose anything by technical means - but support requests could be affected by that. In case you want to have proper support you always should be on a supported database version - as the software is only tested against those versions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you