My custom field does not show up in the issue detail view if it has no value

maria February 22, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring a custom field

Hi,

I'd like my custom field to show up in the issue detail view, even if there is no value set up for it.

I can't get it to show up.

5 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2016

No, it won't appear until you have got data in it.  JIRA hides empty fields in an attempt to reduce screen clutter.

0 votes
Hung Nguyen February 22, 2016

I think you can always work around that for your specific field by:

• Making the field Required
  • Letting <none> to be one of the values (or it may be named as --, for ex)
  • Letting this <none> value to be default value

0 votes
Rusi Popov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2016

I assume "my custom field" means that you have implemented it. In this case, in order to provide a default value, implement the method: com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.AbstractSingleFieldType#getDefaultValue(com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.FieldConfig)

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2016

Hi Maria,

do you mean the detail view of the agile board? If so, you have to add the field to the detail view in the board configuration:

• Open Board -> Configure
  • Open Issue Detail View 
  • Add your custom field to the issue detail view

Thomas

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2016

This is a normal behavior, only custom fields with values will be shown. You can't change it.

Suggest an answer