Multiple sub tasks in paralell

Vidhya GOWTHAM April 18, 2017

Hello all

My present workflow is 

Craeted -> In progress - > Done

Now i want to change my work flow 

Created - > In progress -> Done

But here In progress step i  want to create 3 sub workflows .these 3 work flows run in parallel.

1st sub workflow is 

Created - > Implementation ->  Testing -> Done

2nd sub workflow is

Created - > In progress -> Done

3rd sub workflow is 

Created - > In progress -> Done

These 3 subtasks are run parallel in In progress  step.

Is it possible ?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2017

"Sub workflows" are a nonsense you've probably picked up from some legacy software that does it wrong.

A workflow should represent your process for an item in full.  You should always be able to point at an item and say "this item is at that point in the workflow".  You can, of course group these together, and that's what JIRA does with its status categories at a simple level (to-do, in progress and done are the three groups you can fit your status into), and then for more complicated groupings, you can move on to the use of boards.  But your workflow should be a single process that represents what you really do with an issue.

What you're describing says "sub task" to us.  Your main issue should stay with "Created -> In Progress -> Done", but you should create three sub-tasks under it for each of the things you call "sub workflow" and put a condition on the main issue workflow that says "do not allow to move to done until all subtasks are in status done"

Thank you for reply . i am attaching one document can you please look it.   this is my task actually what i have to do.Untitled.png

Implementation , doc, test are runs parallel

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2017

Yes, that's one of the things sub-tasks will do for you.

Each of the lines beneath "feature" is a sub-task, with its own workflow.

Vidhya GOWTHAM April 19, 2017

But i am not understanding how to  create work flow for subtask ? am new to JIRA . i am learning now . can you please explain clearly.  

and how to create subtask ?

0 votes
Vidhya GOWTHAM April 24, 2017

Thank you NIC . i  got  it.

Suggest an answer