Multiple products, single release process

Francis Peixoto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2018

Is there a way for me to align several product based projects to a single release management process? Release to QA and to Prod for all projects are all triggered at the same schedule, weekly, so we need to gather version notes from all the projects into a single document to prepare the release packages.

For example: if I run an query "fixVersion = Prod_20180410", create that version ID in all the projects and associated issues to that ID in all the in-scope projects, will the results show the issues from those projects that are labeled with that version ID?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2018

Hello @Francis Peixoto

Your assumption is correction i.e. if you execute the JQL

fixVersion = <name>

Then it should return issues from all projects which have the mention fixVersion. But I am not sure if this approach is scalable because you will have to make sure that different projects have same versions, which over a period of time won't work.

Thus, my suggestion to you is to use an alternate approach. Basically create a project especially for Releases and have a super type issue in that project like "Initiative" or "Release" and link all the issues from other projects under this super type issues using Portfolio/Structure plugin and then do your releases. In this way you enter fixVersion in only 1 project and the whole hierarchy of issues being released is also visible to you and this should make things more simpler.

Francis Peixoto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2018

In my scenario, all projects will have the same version naming convention. If project A doesn't have anything to release in a given version, but project B does, then the release notes would only include issues from project B. Project A would essentially "skip" this version. Projects would skip whatever version number doesn't align with the weekly release schedule.

I'll still backpocket your suggestion, which is a scenario I looked into as well. I figured that my initial assumption would be more of a first step towards a more mature process that requires more extensive tooling.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Mark November 26, 2020

@Francis Peixoto This is a great question. Did you ever come up with a good solution for your use-case?

Suggest an answer