Multiple filter owners

Richard Lucas August 18, 2015

Before I commit the following as a new feature request I just want to be sure if this really isn't possible yet.

In our project we have lots of shared filters. The problem here is that the filters have only one owner. When the onwer is on vacation or otherwise absent and the filter should be altered to reflect the current status of our project, then it seems only someone with administrator rights can do so. We don't really want to give more people administrator rights so what we really want is to assign multiple owners to the shared filters. 

Is this already possible? Else I'll just add this as a feature request.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Richard Lucas August 20, 2015

As mentioned there are work-arounds (thanks for sharing) but to just close this question: the answer is 'No you can't'. 

There already is a feature request for it.

John Gill June 20, 2019

5 years down, 5 to go, maybe someday they'll have the feature that is 100% intuitive. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019
lclar1@amfam.com July 30, 2019

Is this for Server only? Or Cloud as well?

Like Jon West likes this
Bryan P. Stewart December 13, 2019

I think it is for Server only, as I do not see it on my Cloud version.  That is really too bad.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2019

for on-premises solutions.

1 vote
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2015

Hi Richard

Filters cannot have multiple owners. It can only have one owner. But i can propose some workarounds for you.

1. If filter is shared with you, you cannot edit it but you can surely view its JQL. So, if the owner is on leave, you can always create another filter (with you as oener) and add your changes to reflect the correct status.
  2. Owner of the filter can be made to a shared account which is shared within the team. This way you remove the dependency.

I do not agree with your point that when filter owner is on leave administrators can edit it. No one other than filter owner can edit a filter.

If administrator is unblocking you here, then he is doing  something else and not editing someone else's filter.

Pilar

Well. As an administrator you can change the owner (see: [https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/jira-administrator-s-guide/configuring-global-settings/managing-shared-filters]) of the shared filter temporarily to change it and then set it back to its original owner.

0 votes
Equipe Technique August 19, 2015

You have a other solution, 

create the new filter.

call your JIRA database administrator for identify your new filter ID and change the subscription in the FILTERSUBCRIPTION table (you will find in this table the assocaition between shared filters and users which have subscribed on them). 

Laurent

If I understand this correctly, this solution will only move the problem to the one who made the new filter.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2015

Not a good idea changing the DB directly while JIRA is running

0 votes
Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2015

EDIT: As of version 7.12 filters can have multiple owners.

Original answer:

Unfortunately there is no such possibility. I guess the problem is there are things dependant on your filters (like gadgets or boards) so you excplicitly need to edit the filter, not to create new. There are however few poor workarounds:

1. You may ask your administrator to install a "Script Runner" plugin, and use a predefined script "Change filter or dashboard ownership" when needed. However be aware that any day now it will become a paid plugin. Still, really worth the price. Con: you have to ask administrator each time you want to change the owner of the filter.
  2. Create one shared user account just to create filters and give login and password to anyone who is supposed to create filters. That is a really unsafe way to achieve your goal, but it would work. Con: you have no control over access to the account - every person that will get the login/password can log to your instance.

Suggest an answer