It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Multiple components visible in multiple swimlanes Edited

Hi All,

Did some Google-ing and searching in the Atlassian community and the answer to my question seems like to be "it is not possible". However, I could not find a question excatly the same as mine. 

In short: How can I make a Story visible in multiple Swimlanes, where by creation I checked multiple components?

In depth: I am taking the following process. I have the idea I am missing something, because in the end my problem is halfway, but not in the correct way.

1. Create a Story meant for multiple components (seen as sub-domains) -> components symbol -> selecting components. For example, C, D, E and F.

1.PNG

2. Going back to the Board, only the first selected component is visible as swimlane C (swimlanes are defined as component = Name ). The problem is, two sided:

I. As the story is meant for multiple sub-domains, the same Story should be visible in multiple Swimlanes C, D, E and F and not only in C. 

II. Quick Filters are also set-up (as component = Name). When you filter on C, C is appearing. When you filter on D, the story and swimlane for C is appearing. Same for E and F: the filter is working correct, but everything comes under the swimlane for C.

2.PNG

4.PNG

3. What I tried:

- creating a query like component >= 1, but that is not working

- re-checked the queires under filters and swimlanes; here there is no issue because when selecting one component it is working as expected

Does anyone has an idea about this?

1 answer

0 votes

The short answer to

>How can I make a Story visible in multiple Swimlanes, where by creation I checked multiple components?

Is that "you cannot".  You are not missing anything, everything you have found is correct.

The longer answer does not change that, just tries to explain it a bit.  Swimlanes cut across a board, selecting things to group together by a metric other than "status" (you can still use status, but you get a really unhelpful board).

In most cases, a swimlane is used to represent a single-value metric (project, assignee, story, priority, etc), but when you have multiple metrics in them, it is horribly confusing for humans to see any issue more than once.  We just don't cope with "I did something to an issue in swimlane 4, why has swimlane 1 changed?". 

To avoid this, Atlassian simplified.  An issue appears only in the first swimlane that currently selects it.  ("First" as you go down the list of swimlanes - people instinctively put the most important swimlane as the top row)

Thanks for the answer and quickly removing the "spam" categorization of my first post.

So, the only solution is to create a story for every component when an exact story is applicable for multiple components? (like the task of checking knowledge articles).

Would be helpful if new option appears  in the "create" screen when multiple components are checked, for example "Add per Component" instead of creating multiple Stories per component. Or is already something like this available?

You could have a story for each, or you could sub-task for each component you want to use.  You'd need something like Automation or Scriptrunner to copy stories with more than one component, or create the sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you