Multiple Department using a single Jira Software

Mr.Mehdi Sadeghi April 22, 2017

Hi,

I am new in Jira software, I need to know if there is a possiblity on jira software that allow multiple departments use a single jira software, without allowing to see other department's projects and/or dashboard?

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2017

JIRA has a powerful permission system which does enable you to have complete separation of boards and projects by department, groups and users etc.

Have a look at the permission scheme for a project.  The browse permission says who can see the project (and there's a load of other permissions for controllng access to other stuff)

These schemes are sets of access rules, and they will say things like "Browse project: role (user)" (or for a more simple, but less flexible option "Browse project: group (xyz)").  For a rule of "role", you then look at the project users to see who is in a role.

So, for a permission scheme with a role like that, you can set it up so that one set of people is in the role "users" in project 1, and another set of people in the role "users" in project 2, and they won't be able to see each other's projects.

Boards are different, they only have a "who can see me" in their permissions, and no other permission, but the same rule applies, you can share them with a set of people, and people outside that set can't see them.

0 votes
Tomáš Vrabec April 23, 2017

Nic mentioned almost everything, from my expirience I do recommand using JIRA based Roles (instead of Groups) in combination with Persimssion Schemes. This worked best way in all my projects / clients. 

Suggest an answer