Multi-select field that includes setting a quantity?

Darla Sheehan May 16, 2022

Hi,

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know of a Jira custom field, or third party app field available that offers the following? Or any solution you have heard of?

Multi-select field with the ability to set quantity for each - 

• Chocolate -> Qty 2
  • Strawberry -> Qty 3
  • Vanilla - > Qty 4
  • Mint -> Qty 1

The quantity is important to know, as I have automations creating additional jira issues depending on quantity of each.

Trying to avoid having to have a separate option for each:

• Chocolate -> Qty 1
  • Chocolate -> Qty 2
  • Chocolate -> Qty 3
  • Strawberry -> Qty 1
  • Strawberry -> Qty 2
  • Strawberry -> Qty 3

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Jesse Docherty July 1, 2022

I found a solution by using the Jira "Forms" feature that allowed me to solve this issue. The form can be tied to a request type where a customer would fill out and provide the product option and then a quantity field would popup to enter as well. 

In your example, customer picks VxRails site as option and Migration as well. 

Numerical field for VxRails pops up and says "Quantity of VxRails Sites" same thing with Migration if selected. If not, just VxRails quantity field will popup. 

By adding the "section" feature on the form it will allow you to conditionally hide fields based on the prior option selected such as the products you offer. From there you can also link these fields to a field in Jira for tracking and reporting.

Hope that helps! I was going through this same situation which I was able to solve using "Forms" in Jira that makes it look seamless on the portal. 

Cheers!

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Darla Sheehan 

It would help to have a little more context on your end goal.  You could potentially achieve this with two separate fields.  Multi-select field for your flavors and then a text field for your quantities.  You could do something where the quantities are comma delimited and set up automation against that, but it would help to better understand your end goal.  Maybe there's an out-of-the-box way of looking at it.

Darla Sheehan May 17, 2022

Hi Mark!

Sure, the end goal is to have an automation create a sub-task based on the quantity chosen for each product. (I used flavors as my example, but we really are working with White Glove implementations for VxRail, Data Protection, Storage, etc).

When a Client purchases the following example below, an issuetype: Initiative is created in Jira, once the Initiative is created, I have an automation that creates a separate EPICs under the Initiative for any product checked off in the multi-select custom checkbox field:

• VxRails (Qty - 2)
  • Migration (Physical to Virtual) (Qty -1)

If those 2 items are checked off in the multi-select checkbox custom field in Jira. I want to be able to indicate qty of 2 VxRails & 1 Migration. That way, my automation can create 2 separate EPICs for VxRAIL (as the install is at 2 different sites), and 1 separate EPIC for Migration (Physical to Virtual) (1 site).

Trying to avoid having to add an option for each qty to the checklist field, the list is already long without the addition of # of sites for each option. 

• VxRails - 1 Site
  • VxRails - 2 Sites
  • VxRails - 3 Sites
  • Migration (Physical to Virtual) - 1 Site
  • Migration (Physical to Virtual) - 2 Sites

Thanks,

Darla

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM