Moving unmapped status items to an inactive sprint

Vikas Haridas March 30, 2023

Hello - I am wondering if someone can assist me here. We have a typical dev cycle where items move from backlog --> to do --> dev in progress --> dev & test complete --> business testing --> done. Now, I have configured my board to show the first 4 columns above till dev complete (so that we can claim points for work done during the sprint) but I want to be able to move items to status that are unmapped on the active sprint board view to another sprint (inactive) that represents business testing. I don't want to see these items on the active sprint board (used for dev) but I do want to see them in the backlog under the separate sprint for business testing. However, I am unable to see them in this sprint bucket in the backlog despite them being assigned to this sprint presumably because they are unmapped to the columns on the active sprint board. 

Any suggestions here?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Hi @Vikas Haridas , when using scrum any issue in the last column will be considered complete when'd the sprint is completed and hence removed from the board and backlog. What you could/should do is create a separate board to complete the release cycle of the project. This second board could be scrum or Kanban.

Thanks @Jack Brickey

That solution worked. However, I am forced to do this simply because the bit you said is not working as expected. i.e. "any issue in the last column will be considered complete when'd the sprint is completed". When I complete the sprint, the message always comes back saying "Cannot complete sprint as X issues were not completed. Move it?". The point is I don't want to move it back to the backlog or to another sprint. I simply want to  move its status so that it now can be tracked as part of the release cycle. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

So "any issue in the last column will be considered complete when'd the sprint is completed" should remain true.

Any issue in a status that is not map to your board will be hidden from the board. Let's take the following example. If an issue begins in a sprint on your board (To Do) and eventually is moved to"Business testing" then it will suddenly disappear but we'll still be considered part of the sprint because it was initially assigned to the Sprint. Assuming that issue remains in that status at the time the sprint is completed then it will be considered incomplete for that Sprint and must be either move to the backlog or a future Sprint. So there are two options to consider here:

• Do not move any issues to the unmapped statuses until after the sprint is complete or
  • Map the Business testing status to the last column. In this case if you don't wish to see issues in the status an you're board then consider a quick filter to hide them.

While I can't say for sure, it seems as if the second option would be closer to what you're looking for. That is, from a development perspective those issues are considered complete but they are not complete from a release perspective which can be handled via a 'deploy' board.

Thanks @Jack Brickey That makes sense, will proceed with the 1st option above as its easier to manage than having the Testing column on the board.

Thanks again for the quick response on this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events