Moving a Task to a User Story

Fillip Ho March 27, 2023

Can someone assist me in showing a step by step process on how to move a already created task to a already created user story that is under the same Epic. 

Example:

Epic: X

User Story: Y

Tasks: X

Want to move X tasks to Y user stories under X Epic.

Hope this makes any sense but if it doesn't please let me know and I can clarify. It seem to be a simple task but I wanted to make sure I am doing it correctly. When I use the move feature of the task it is asking me to move project to project? So that is why I'm a little confuse as I am trying to avoid any workflow impacts. 

Thank you,

Fillip 

Org-admin

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Hello @Fillip Ho 

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

You have said that the Task already exists, and also that the User Story already exists. So, is it correct that you already have a Task issue (ABC-1) and a Story issue (ABC-2)?

If so, what do you mean by you want to "move" the Task "to" the User Story?

Are you trying to change the issue type of the Task to User Story?

Are you trying to make the Task a child (a Sub-task) of the User Story?

Fillip Ho March 27, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

The specific problem is there was a user story created with the title Implement Feature, then someone created a task with the same Implement Feature but did not put the task under that user story

Ex:

Epic: Feature Name

User Story: Implement Feature

Task: Implement Feature

At this point it's not a "create" it's more of a "move" existing tasks under the existing user stories under the Epic. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Hello @Fillip Ho 

The native hierarchy of issues is

Epic
|- standard types: Story, Task, Bug, etc
|- sub-task types

With this default hierarchy you can't make an issue a "child" of another issue at the same level. So in this case you couldn't make a Task a "child" (under) a Story. You would have to convert the Task to a Sub-task, and then you could make it a child of the Story. In this case you would use the Convert to Sub-task option rather than the Move option.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 11.58.02 AM.png

I see that you post indicates you have the Premium Jira Plan. It is possible to customize the hierarchy going upwards from Epic in that case. I don't know if your hierarchy is customized so that Task and User Story are not at the same level. If they are still at the same level, then you can't make one a child of the other. You would again have to change the issue type of the Task to an issue type that is directly below User Story in the hierarchy.

Like # people like this
Keshav May 19, 2023

Great thanks @Trudy Claspill . I had the same issue, got solved.

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Mario Ciardulli February 2, 2024

Btw the hierarchy Jira adopted doesn't make sense to me. A task should be able to become a child of a story. A sub-task should be the child of a task. It's semantic. 

This would make more sense to me.

Epic
|- Story, Bug, etc
|- tasks
|- sub-task types

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL