Moving a Closed Ticket to a Future Sprint

Nils Söderström November 14, 2018

Hi,

Im doing some clean up on an old board and need to start and close some sprints. Due to project constraints we have had several tickets belonging to differnet releases (release 1, 2, and 3) in the same sprint (sprint a). This is not best practice, but as I said, there wasno other way of solving this. 

Whaat I need to do now is to create the corresponding sprints (sprint 1, 2 and 3) and populate them with the correct tickets from respective releases. All these tickets have fixed versions, are released to prod and have status "closed". the sprints im creating are also susquently empty and set as "future". I want to start the sprint and naturally close it once ive populated it with the correct tickets.

Now, when i try to assign "sprint a" to one of the closed tickets it does not move the ticket to "sprint a" in the backlog so i cannot start the sprint? 

My first question is; is this even possible or is it impossible to move closed tickets to future sprints? And (second question) if this is possible, what am i doing wrong?

Cheers,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nils Söderström November 15, 2018

i found the answer myself. its actually NOT possible.

what you have to do is to reopen on of the tickets and place that in the desired sprint. then move the rest of the tickets and start the sprint. you then go ahead and close the reopned ticket, and then close the enitre sprint. 

not ideal, but a fix. 

Becky May 6, 2019

THank you for the suggestion. I had a very similar problem and followed your method and it worked. Hope it didnt create so many emails though !!

Matt H February 7, 2020

I had a ticket that was marked as Done before being put into the sprint. I had to use the above workaround to be able to declare it as 'Done' in this sprint.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer