Move to Rich Text Editor (Jira) from Jeditor by Bobronix

Our instance has been running Jeditor for several years (10's of thousands of active issues). We would like to convert away from Jeditor, in particular in the description field, but changing the renderer leaves us with residual markup language (e.g. <p> <br>). Is there anyway to go back, or are we stuck with Jeditor for the rest of time? 

2 answers

Hi,

I was dealing the same couple months ago when I was migrating whole instance with jEditor installed to another Jira instance where common Jira wiki only was enabled. jEditor was enabled for Description field, many other fields and all comments.

It was pretty tough but the migration was very successful at the end and no one would even recognize that jEditor is no longer installed on the target instance :) Even those specific jEditor panels have been successfully migrated to corresponding wiki syntax.

I used Graham Hannington's "Wikifier" solution. I adjusted original XSLT and added dozens of new items to describe original jEditor's specific objects. So all thanks come to him :)

While Graham's solution focuses on transforming Confluence XML to Wiki markup, it works pretty well for transforming general HTML into Jira Wiki (Rich Text Editor) markup.

Get inspired here:

In my case, I parsed and replaced the whole exported entities.xml before the import to the target instance.

In your case, you might want to prepare similar solution and utilitize this via REST API or update description / comments directly in DB (while having Jira shut down). Be careful and test thoroughly on a testing environment, of course.

Regards,
Radek

Check following answer

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-enable-html-in-jira-text-fields-771895067.html

The steps to address this problem is

* Enable html support in the wiki renderer

* Convert the jeditor fields to wiki renderer (in the field configuration scheme)

* run a query in the database to convert all jeditor to something like 

{html}

<original content>

{html}

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

713 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you