Move ticket to another project based on custom field

Daria Brusenskaja
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 27, 2020

Is it possible to move the ticket to specific JIRA project based on custom field? We have integration with Zendesk, and it would be useful for Customer Service to select "Application part" (custom field) based on which the ticket gets assigned to specific project

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Possible, yes, but you're going to need to do a lot of coding to do it. Jira's move functionality does a lot of work. You don't just move an issue, you have to check the entire configuration of the current issue type against that of the target project and type, then handle any incompatibilities.

Generally, in Jira, you should only be moving issues around in two cases - a restructuring project or when a genuine mistake has been made where someone selected the wrong project or issue type. In both of these cases, you usually want a human to do it, as they're correcting something.

I have started to write code that can move issues, but I stopped when I saw what it would have to do, I got enough to see that actually, the "need" to move the issues was really a broken process. Fixed that, didn't have to code it.

Suggest an answer