Move existing users from an internal directory to 'Internal with LDAP Authentication'

We have an existing Jira setup that we want to connect to an LDAP server (AD in this case). To change the usernames we had to do the work around from here (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1549) since 6.0 is not out in production yet so we can't do this (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+Usernames+in+JIRA).

The question is, now that we have changed the names, how do we get the users setup to authenticate against LDAP? All the usernames are the same as the ones in LDAP so I don't want to go the route of importing all new users. Is there a way to just say, "all users authenticate against LDAP now?"

2 answers

1 accepted

We just did a similar piece of work for the client where AD users and internal ones (legacy setup) were completely diffrent. We did not rename the internal users. Connected Jira to AD, made users all log in at least once with AD credentials, so the users got created on Jira side, then moved the content.

We used groovyrunner with the RenameUser443.groovy script modified in such a way so if the merge of 2 users (internal and external) is selected, it moves the content to the 2nd user instead of merging it and doesn't remove the user either.

After that was done the internal directory was disabled.

Get in contact via turningright.co.nz and I'll respond with the script.

I suppose you may also try just moving all user records within internal crowd database tables from one dir to another with direct SQL.

For the direct SQL, do you know which tables require changes in order to fully switch over?

You mean "cwd_user" table?

Any relosve ways?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,301 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot