Move Issue across Projects change default Status

Jacob Jaskolka February 4, 2015

When moving an issue across projects I have to change the status. While that is exactly what I want, the default selected New Status is 'Closed'. Is there any way to change the default, or re-order this list so I don't have people accidently closing issues during a move?

4 answers

2 votes
kitkat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2015

I recommend this only for who are experienced in web design and workflow editing, and to TEST THIS IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT FIRST, NOT IN PRODUCTION:

The only way to accomplish this is to export your workflow via xml. Once you have done that, you will see a series of <step> open and </step> (singular) close tags that bracket each status in your workflow. Each of these tag setst encompasses all the statuses for your workflow. The arrangement of your statuses dictates the order that you view your statuses in the dropdown menu for the Move Issue function. Once you have edited this XML file, you can re-import it and reassociate it with your Project.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2018

I tried this in a 7.10.2 environment and this didn't work, unfortunately, even after restarting Jira. Are there any other options available to us to change the order of these statuses in this dropdown?

1 vote
Jane Sherman February 7, 2017

In On Demand, the default status on the target project is the first one created in your workflow - the one at the top of the list when you look at the text version.     You can create a new workflow with the status you want on the top.

Serge_tkint January 15, 2020

Indeed !

0 votes
kitkat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2015

You should at least be a member of a group that has the JIRA System Administrators Global Permission to import an XML Workflow. Even if you have the JIRA Administrators Global Permission, you will still only have the option of "Import from Marketplace" in that screen. Doing an XML import of a workflow requires the highest level of permissions that are in JIRA.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

0 votes
Jacob Jaskolka February 12, 2015

Thank you, I have edited the file, but apparently don't have permissions sufficient to upload an XML file, as I don't see that option.

Do you have to be a member of Jira-administrators in order to see that?

Suggest an answer