Monitoring Jira Connection Pool

Mike Stark August 20, 2013

Since Jira 5.1 you can view the Connection Pool (dbcp) via .../secure/admin/monitor_database.jspa

Does anyone know if this data exposed in logs or REST? I'm looking to find a way to report/alert on the current connections.

I've been reading https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/662/monitoring-of-atlassian-products-performance and this may contain the solution.

If not, it looks like you can use things like javamelody and report on number of jdbc connections. Does anyone know if this gives you the same information?

3 answers

1 vote
Sean Meacher January 20, 2014

netstat will give you the number of max-idle connections to your database (default 20, for us currently showing as a constant of 17), as opposed to the more useful number-of-active connections (for us <10).
It's the latter number which is more useful for seeing how busy the jira --> database connection is.
Having that number able to be graphed/monitored (as a value that could snmp'able) would be really helpful.

1 vote
Michael Simon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

netstat -an|grep -c "^tcp.*:<port>.*ESTABLISHED" will be forsure what is active.

Replace <port> with your port of choice. In your case 1433

or

netstat -an|grep -c "^tcp.*:1433.*ESTABLISHED"

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2013

Hi Mike,

I think that the best way to track the connections is using a tool link netstat, checking how many connectors are using the database port.

It should be a command like:

netstat -napo | grep port_number | count | sort

Please give it a try and tell me how it goes.

Regards,

Celso Yoshioka

Mike Stark August 20, 2013

Hello,

I ran this on our Jira server (running linux centos 5.6): netstat -napo | grep 1433 | wc -l | sort

It returned ~135 which is much higher than the ~3-5 our database monitoring chart shows. Is there a conversion on this or is this a whole different metric?

Suggest an answer