Modifying users in an external directory inconsistencies

Taylor Huston November 6, 2017

I am currently managing two different instances. Both on 7.2.7. Both are connected to the same LDAP directory with, as far as I can tell, the exact same settings. SPECIFICALLY both have this option enabled:

Update User attributes on Login

Users' attributes are updated from your LDAP server into JIRA when they authenticate. Selecting this means users can no longer be modified in JIRA.

Selecting this means users can no longer be modified in JIRA.

Except on one of the instances users can be modified. I can deactivate them, change their username, full name, and email. Though any changes I make are overwritten with the LDAP data the next time they log in. On the other instance I can't edit them. It's not even an option (which I believe is the intended behavior).

Anywhere else I should be looking? A flag in some config file perhaps?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Hello Taylor,

What is your goal here? 

In the User Directory setup there is a "Directory Configuration Summary". 

Perhaps if you compare that you´ll find some differences.

I did compare them, all of the settings in them are identical.

I am not sure what my goal is yet. Right now I am trying to determine why two things with the exact same settings on the same version are exhibiting different behaviors.

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Have you tried adding another user directory and placing that above the existing one?

Perhaps one of your user directories was created a long time ago and has been migrated to fit newer crowd embedded.

I have not. I am not sure what you mean about the newer Crowd method. Is there a way I can check looking at the settings?

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2017

In general I would say what you see is what you get in terms of configuration. 

However, if you are certain that the configuration is identical then I'd want to add a fresh user directory to be certain. 

Suggest an answer