Modifying the default Permission Scheme

Ezequiel Sasky March 16, 2016

I am the administrator of a JIRA project and am trying to modify the default Basic Scrum Project Permission Scheme. Specifically, I would like to allow QA Testers (role) to reopen issues.

I open the Permissions option within the Administration tab to view the Project Permissions per role. However, I don't see any option for editing the default scheme. Could you please advise?

Thanks in advance!

License Information for JIRA: JIRA v6.4.11

License Information for JIRA Plugins: Capture for JIRA v2.9.6

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

To edit a permission scheme, you have to be a JIRA or JIRA System administrator.  Project administrators can't do it (because schemes can be shared and that would enable you to trash someone else's project)

You need to talk to your administrators.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2016

Also, just to expand slightly on this, one should never edit the default permission scheme.  It should be copied, modified, then applied to the project.

The default permission scheme is likely shared with other projects, (as Nic said), so making any changes would affect any other project it's shared with.

Elisabeth Gie June 9, 2016

Hi Nic,

I am in the jira-administrators group which has the system administrator permission but there is a lock on the permission scheme section within the issues section. Why is this. I can't seem to edit my permission scheme even though I am system administrator? sad

Elisabeth Gie June 9, 2016

I can grant a permission but can't see what has already been granted and can't take any permissions away sad This is so frustrating.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2016

That doesn't sound right, could you give us a screenshot?

Michael Yolland June 9, 2016

dgffmnonoiapfimi.png

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] please see screenshot from @Elisabeth Gie

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2016

That's totally broken, it shouldn't show a blank screen.  I'd try it in a different browser and then look in the server logs to see what is going wrong.

Suggest an answer