Modifying 'status' field permissions

Peter Pilasiewilz June 22, 2017

I want to programmaticaly (i.e. through a script and/or JIRA API) modify the Status field on a JIRA ticket/issue. Presumably Status field is closely related to Workflow. In the screenshot below, the buttons highlighted within that professional red circle are the buttons I want to manipulate through my script, which will then - I assume - update the Status field of the ticket/issue to the corresponding value.

Snap 2017-06-22 at 12.42.56.png

When running the script, however, I seem to be getting an error: "text: Field 'status' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.". Indeed, when I make an editmeta API call, the status field does not appear there (in other words, it doesn't appear to be modifyable, while some support tickets suggest it should be for this to work).

With all that in mind, could you advise where I can find the page in the JIRA system / settings pages, that will allow me to configure that field accordingly?

Beware that I'm not an administrator of that particular JIRA setup thus I have no visibility (or have restricted visibility) of what the configuration pages look like. However I might be able to get additional information from the Administrator(s) team.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2017

Status is not a field.  It's a display of where an issue is in the workflow.  You should not be trying to "edit" it.

If you want to change a status, you should use a workflow transition from the current status to the new one.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any way I can do that through the JIRA API?

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2017

Hi Peter,

I believe you can find this link useful: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/workflow

Many thanks to both of you!

The actual API call to get this all to work was https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/issue-doTransition

Sorted!

Suggest an answer