Missing workflow buttons (no results from Integrity Checker)

Esther Strom November 10, 2017

A user changed an issue from Story to Epic and back again over the course of a few weeks. After the final change, the issue no longer has any workflow buttons available. 

I've reindexed the database, and run the integrity checker; it found no issues with workflow integrity. 

What can I do to get the issue back into a working workflow with available transitions?

3 answers

0 votes
Drishti Maharaj November 12, 2021

Hi,

I know this is an extremely old issue but I have the same thing now with a story on one of my issues in a project. The workflow is configured to work across other projects and every other project works as is. There is only this one issue where the workflow buttons are missing. The integrity checker showed no errors and we even did a reindex of the project. I am at a bit of a loss as to how to resolve this. 

@Esther Strom , did you manage to come right with anything from Atlassian support by any chance?

Thanks.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2017

It's almost certainly the conditions on the workflow, if the integrity checker says it's ok (Your admin rights are irrelevant to the workflow unless the condition specifically says "allow people with admin rights")

Esther Strom November 13, 2017

If it were the conditions on the workflow (which I built), I wouldn't be able to see the buttons on any other epics that are in the same status. I cloned the issue and pushed it through to the same point as the broken one, and I am able to see the buttons on the clone.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2017

Ok, that's a good test.  But can you check the conditions anyway, they don't have to be user based, it could be "has no open linked stories" or something.

If there are no conditions like that, then it is likely to be a broken database entry, but I've never seen the integrity check fail to find one of those (Time out before it gets there, yes, but it always spots them if it completes).  The next test is to move it to another project (one that ideally uses a different workflow for Epics) and move it back.

Esther Strom November 13, 2017

As I said, I designed and built the workflow, so I'm fully aware of the conditions that are in place, and none of them apply here. 

I have not yet tried moving it to another project and moving it back; I'll give that a shot.

Esther Strom February 8, 2018

I realize this is really old, but I was basically told to just leave it as is. Now our PM wants the ticket closed, and I'm still not seeing any transitions available. I tried @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-'s suggestion of moving the issue to a different project and back again, and I'm still not seeing transitions. I reran the integrity checker, and it's still not seeing any problems. 

As indicated in my last post, there are definitely no workflow conditions that would hide all transitions, so I'm at a loss. How would I go about fixing a broken database entry?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

I can't think of any other way to do this, unless there genuinely are no transitions out of the status

Esther Strom February 12, 2018

Yup. That's where I am right now. There ARE transitions that exist in the workflow, and they have conditions, but my user roles and permissions meet the conditions of all of them. I even added a new, unrestricted transition that has no conditions or validators and published that workflow, and I'm not seeing the new transition either.

Here's a normal story in the same status as the broken one:

flow1.png

Here's the broken one:

flow2.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2018

Only thing left is to move it to a different workflow (change the issue type, or move it to another project) and back again

Esther Strom February 12, 2018

Tried both of those (moved to a different issue type in the same project, moved to the same issue type in a different project with a different workflow.) Neither worked. I've opened a ticket with Atlassian support. Thanks for all the suggestions.

0 votes
Kirill Skuibida November 10, 2017

You might try to remove users from their roles in the project and put them back. This could work as when you say to JIRA "use another workflow", it re-writes the "OS workflow" tables, based on the status, even if it doesn't change. When the two tables line up - should start working again.

Second option: make sure the user has permission to transition issues and it's not blocked by any conditions etc.

Esther Strom November 10, 2017

Thanks, but even I'm not seeing the transition buttons, and I'm the overlord (i.e. Jira admin and system admin.) I don't think it's a permission issue.

Suggest an answer