Missing global shortcuts in JIRA7

Kat Amano December 20, 2017

Hi there!

Does anyone know where I can enable global shortcuts for all users?

I'm a relatively new Jira administrator, and I was trying to explain keyboard shortcuts to my team only to discover that they don't have access to global shortcuts, even though they have keyboard shortcuts enabled. In other words, their menu of shortcut options doesn't even include the global shortcuts section, whereas mine does.

In searching help docs, I have seen references to missing or limited shortcut permissions for some users depending on how the administrator has things set up, but I don't see any links to help for administrators looking to adjust those settings! Anyone know where I can go to fix this?

Thanks!
Kat

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

Could you explain "global shortcuts" and "references to missing or limited shortcut permissions "? 

The second question is asked because I don't believe Jira limits shortcuts in any way.  I do know that it will ignore the use of a shortcut if you don't have permission to do what the shortcut does, but that is not limiting the shortcut, it is limiting an activity that happens to have a shortcut.  So I'm curious.

Kat Amano December 20, 2017

Sure thing! This is how my keyboard shortcuts menu looks (and I can use the global shortcuts):

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 3.57.54 PM.png

This is how the same menu looks for my users, who cannot execute any of the global shortcuts (if they use "c" to create an issue, for example, hitting the "c" key does nothing, though they can successfully use the non-global shortcuts shown here):

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 14.21.19.png

And in this help doc, it says:

"You may not have permission to perform all the keyboard shortcut actions described on this page. This depends on how your JIRA administrator(s) have configured permissions for your user account."

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/using-keyboard-shortcuts

And sure enough, my users have enabled keyboard shortcuts on their Profile page and they have permission to perform all keyboard shortcuts EXCEPT the "global" ones.

Suggest an answer