Missing dbconfig.xml

Joel Hughes July 11, 2014

When I run the process of installing Jira, and attempt to run the config.sh from command line, I always receive a message stating:

[root@slackasana bin]# sh config.sh

Loading application properties from /opt/atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties

DB config file '/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml' is not created yet - loading database settings as blank.

No graphics display available; using console.

----------------------

JIRA Configurator v1.1

----------------------

When I navigate to /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data, I only see attachments, but not the mysterious dbconfig.xml file. Is this a file I am supposed to be creating, or should it render from the process of the Jira installation?
I complete this component but still do not see the dbconfig.xml file. Could someone please direct me on what I am missing that it doesn't want to create for me? Thanks for the direction. -J
sudo -s -H -u postgres
# Create the JIRA user:
/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/createuser -S -d -r -P -E jirauser
# Create the JIRA database:
/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/createdb --owner jirauser --encoding utf8 jira 
exit

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2014

Hi Joel,

The once you save the changes on the JIRA Configurator tool, the dbconfig.xml file should be saved to your JIRA_HOME folder.

In your problem description, you have mentioned that the file is missing from /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data, whereas it should have been saved on /var/atlassian/application-data/jira instead.

Could you please check if the file is on the JIRA Home folder (/var/atlassian/application-data/jira)?

If the file is missing, you may also manually create it using an example from the document below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+PostgreSQL

Cheers,

Danilo

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2014

As mentioned by Danilo, once the changes are saved with Configuration Tool, the dbconfig.xml should be created into your JIRA_HOME folder.

For more information on how to use the configuration tool, please refer the URL below. Hope it helps!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+JIRA+Configuration+Tool

Cheers

Luciano

0 votes
Joel Hughes July 11, 2014

I'm trying to do it without the web browser, and configure it all by command line. Can you offer anymore feedback with that in mind?

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2014

Instead of running config.sh - run start-jira.sh . Once you do that point your web browser to the url specified and it should walk you through things.

Suggest an answer