Milestones in Jira Software Roadmaps?

Stephen Furlong March 25, 2022

Hi there!  I would love it if I could do everything in Jira!  I don't really need a complicated Project Management tool, so I'm hoping that there is someway to add mile stones or task due dates to the Roadmap product.  I'm using the Jira Cloud Free Version now.  Evaluating for subscription purchase. 

Looks like Roadmp only uses the dates from Sprint start-finish.  Can I add arbitrary milestones outside of sprints?

Many thanks In advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

Hi @Stephen Furlong , there isn't the concept of milestones in Jira roadmaps, at least not the free/standard version. There are addons in the Marketplace you could consider. If interested check these out https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&moreFilters=freeStarterTier&product=jira&query=Milestones%20 

Hi @Jack Brickey thanks so much!  I also just discovered Big Picture and a few others.  Looking forward to diving into them.  Many thanks for the info!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

Great. For sure Jira can work well for project management IMO but there are some traditional PM concepts missing.

Like Stephen Furlong likes this

Yes indeed, IMHO some of those traditional PM concepts can be overkill for many agile projects (all of my projects).  I really like the lightweight PM overhead of Jira SW, Confluence, and Roadmaps.  Just need some milestones!

Really Dig all the Atlassian products! 

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 1, 2022

Hi @Stephen Furlong

I am glad to hear that you are considering BigPicture. The app not only converts tasks into milestones and displays them on a timeline but also makes it easy to track them. Find more info here.
Screenshot+2020-05-28+at+19.06.31.png 
Feel free to tag me if you have any further questions. 

Marcos Arias November 8, 2022

I too would like milestones, but I dont want a $1K/mo plugin just for milestones.  Any other solutions in Jira Software? and Jira Advanced Roadmaps? 

Like Mauro Radaelli likes this
0 votes
Ingo Wenke April 12, 2023

You can use a release to display it as a milestone. There have been many updates to the Roadmap feature.

Suggest an answer