Migration of JIRA server from one server to another Server

venugopal123 September 4, 2017

Hi,

I have a JIRA server in Old Linux server .Recently I got New another Upgraded Linux server . So i need to migrate the JIRA which is present in Old Lunux server to Newly upgarded Linux Server.I have a small confusion on the migration Procedure .First Query: Actually i got the matter from this link:https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-802592269.html. In this document they mentioned have to take a Xml backup of JIRA system. While migrating we need a backup copy of Existing JIra Home directory.So we point to that backup copy JIRA home directory while installing a New JIRA server.In that we have already dbconfig.xml file ,here i have a confusion .clarify me here we have already an dbconfig.xml,so it connects to that configured db .so why should we have to restore the data which is in XML backup ,it connects to the old data base server right then it can takes that data know.Why we have to take that backup 

Please clarify me exaactly what we have to do in a short manner

Second Query: This is the anothey way of migrating JIRA server by switching Databases

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira060/switching-databases-370705250.html

Can you Suggest me which way is the best to Migrate the jira from one server to another

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2017

Dear Venu,

This does depend on what Database you are using.. but indeed, if you retain your old Database you will not need another XML back-up. The XML back-up rewrites the database.. so this is practically the same.

In your case, you will not need another XML back-up. The documentation is written.. however.. in the sense that you do not yet have a Database backup.

2.2 Back up your database

Perform an XML backup of your existing JIRA installation's external database. For large JIRA installations, this process may require several hours to complete.

You need to transfer your attachments seperately though, if you have these.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

www.prepend.nl

venugopal123 September 5, 2017

Hi,

Thanks. Backing up the JIRA Home Directory means it backup all attachemnts and Indexes right..??

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2017

Dear Venu,

There is no specific need to do that. You can just backup your attachments directory and replace it in your new installation :-).

You will not need more, I assume that you will run an index in your new installation.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

venugopal123 September 5, 2017

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response .

Is these following steps Possible??

1.Backup old server database and restore it on new database server

2. Install New JIRA on a newly desired Server and connect it to the new database server  which i restored from old database

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2017

Dear Venu,

That is indeed very much possible :-). That is practically how upgrading JIRA works in a nutshell. You will only have to take the attachments with you to the new server.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

venugopal123 September 7, 2017

Hi @Jeremy M,

Thank you very much. I got it. I just ask one more Question regarding Migration of JIRA from ONe linux to same another.

Case A).

Install a new JIRA server on New Linux Platform and Point to Existing old Database server which was linked to Old JIRA server

In that Case A). Xml back up of Old JIRA server have to Restore it on New JIRA server .Do we have to restore it on New JIRA server even if i linked Old Databse to New JIRA server...??? 

Could you anyone clarify this ......??

Warm Regards,

Venu Gopal

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2017

Dear Venu,

No, you will not need to restore an XML. The XML creates/writes a Database. But you already have a Database :-).

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

venugopal123 September 7, 2017

Thanks @Jeremy M for this Clarification. I ll try on this 

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2017

No problems! Tell me how it goes.

venugopal123 September 13, 2017

Hi @ Jeremy Mooiman 

1 . I need a small clarification. After i migrated the JIRA server on to new Linux server . In this case will IP adress be changed ?? or it continues on old Ip adress?? can you clarify this

2. My old JIRA server is running with eg: https://examplecompany.IT.com . I want to run my New JIRA server using same (old adress).so after migrated JIRA is new JIRA runs on same address or do i need to change any configurations here

Could you help me to clarify these.Actually am in

Prasanna July 8, 2020

Hi Venu, 

Could you please tell us how your migration went and how you managed same ip address. It helps us a lot. 

Thank you. 

Regards, 

Prasanna

Suggest an answer