Migration from Jira Server add-ons/plugins to Jira Cloud Server

Juvenal_Jose_de_Moura_Junior July 9, 2019

Hi,

I need help referring to a migration from Jira Server plugins to Jira cloud server, can anyone help me please? follows the context below:

In the company where I work there is a Jira Server version 7.11 deployed and managed in its own infrastructure. We use 3 plugins that we develop internally, which have their own tables in database and perform integrations with other 3 systems of corporate management, from where they search and process sensitive data that are consolidated and stored in the proper tables of each plugin.
And we are looking at the feasibility of migrating the local Jira Server to the Jira server cloud.

The 3 existing plugins/add-on (.jar files), "Version 2 plugins" they use a PostgreSQL database and 2 of these plugins directly query other databases, MS SQLServer and Oracle.

Questions:

1) To migrate these 3 plugins to jira cloud, do they need to be fully rebuilt?

2) Can plugins continue to use the Postgresql database that they use today? Will a postgresql database be created by the cloud platform? it's automatic? how it works?

3) Where do I find information about this? Is there any step by step?

4) If possible, kindly give me any other information or links that I find interesting for this analysis.

Thanks a lot.

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2019
  1. Cloud and server apps have a completely different architecture.  You might be able to reuse some code, and probably a lot of the logic, but, yes, you will need to completely rebuild them
  2. Yes, but no.  Yes, you can write apps that call a database outside Atlassian's Cloud.  No, because Atlassian's Cloud will not support any database access, or any database that is not Jira/Confluence/etc
  3.  (and 4 too probably) https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/getting-started/

Thanks!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2019

Hello,

1) To migrate these 3 plugins to jira cloud, do they need to be fully rebuilt?

If you did not build the plugins with Cloud in mind, then the plugins should be rebuilt

2) Can plugins continue to use the Postgresql database that they use today? Will a postgresql database be created by the cloud platform? it's automatic? how it works?

You can continue to use Postgres. It is your choice.

3) Where do I find information about this? Is there any step by step?

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/getting-started/

4) If possible, kindly give me any other information or links that I find interesting for this analysis.

I would recommend you to watch sessions from the latest Atlas Camp. It was all about Cloud development:

https://www.atlassian.com/company/events/summit/watch-sessions/2019/general-session/general-session-how-truly-working-together-makes-everyone-better

Thanks!

0 votes
IMENE FIRAS August 22, 2021

Hi,

@Juvenal_Jose_de_Moura_Junior did you succeed migrating your plugins ?

if yes, please could you tell me how or give me any other useful information or links

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2021

You need to look at what each app does, and then work out a way to translate what bits of it you are using up into Cloud.

This is not something you can have a simple one-page answer for.

0 votes
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2019

Hello @Juvenal_Jose_de_Moura_Junior ,

Elements is currently working on a Cloud version of our server app Elements Connect, which enables you to connect Jira custom fields with external data sources like SQL databases (and other data sources).

We are currently recruiting for the beta program, and we'd be happy if you would join.

You can sign up here.

Thanks,

Laura

Suggest an answer