Migrating from JIRA Cloud to Server

Sanjay Shinde January 24, 2018

We are trying to migrate users and data from Jira Cloud to Server and have been running into issues where the admin accounts get wiped out and we are not able to login to the server after the import.

Is there something we are missing?  Are there documented steps on how to do the migration from cloud to server?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

Are you doing a full system restore or trying to migrate projects from cloud to server.

Have you gone through this guide?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-938846963.html

angela.wade August 12, 2020

Yes, gone through the guide

Just migrating Service Desk projects

1 vote
Proyectos Compartidos April 26, 2018

Hello 

I want to know if they got the solution of this problem, I am  having this problem with the same error.

error1.PNGThanks for your help

Milena G

KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2018

Hi @Proyectos Compartidos@Diego de Antonio - IST@Aleksandr Bogovik

Check out this KB -- Could not find entity for entityName - when restoring a XML backup into a JIRA application.

Another possible reason to the error is that the backup files are generated for JIRA Cloud to Cloud migration rather than a Cloud to Server migration.

If you have next-gen projects on the JIRA Cloud instance, it may prohibits you to create backup for Server.

Jira Cloud products are regularly updated with the absolute latest features and improvements. They run on completely different branches of development than the latest downloadable version of Jira Server or Jira Data Center products. Some of these features are incompatible between cloud and server products.

Next-gen projects, for example, do not exist in Jira Server or Jira Data Center. To create a usable server backup, you need to delete all next-gen projects from your Jira Cloud site. Learn more about next-gen projects.

We recommend moving important issues from these projects into server-supported project templates (those administered by schemes). To do so:

1. Create new, server-supported projects to receive issues from each next-gen project.
  2. Choose the Jira icon ( or ) > Jira settings > System
  3. In the IMPORT AND EXPORT section, click Backup manager.
  4. Under Backup for server, select Move issues and follow the instructions to move important issues over to your new server-supported projects.

Jira lists all your next-gen projects, links to filters that contain those projects' issues, and information about the project's owner to help you investigate what issues you may want to keep in your backup.

You can also delete all next-gen projects outright. To do so:

1. Choose the Jira icon ( or ) > Jira settings > System
  2. In the IMPORT AND EXPORT section, click Backup manager.
  3. Under Backup for server, select Delete all next-gen projects.

Regards,
Kelly

1 vote
Vitus Brüning March 9, 2018

Hello

we although trying to migrate to jira server. But when I try to recover the exported files, I got this message:

Fehler beim Importieren der Daten: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [GenericDelegator.makeValue] could not find entity for entityName: AdHocUpgradeTaskHistory

I got two files with error logs and after the error message the system is crashing and I have to reinstall Jira incl. database.

Do anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thx and Regards

Vitus

0 votes
Diego de Antonio - IST September 6, 2018

we have same error:

AdHocUpgradeTaskHistory

is there a fix?

Thanks

0 votes
Aleksandr Bogovik July 4, 2018

I got same error, does anybody have a solution?

0 votes
Sanjay Shinde January 26, 2018

Hi Tarun, thank you very much for the link.  That helped!!

Suggest an answer