Migrating database from embedded to dedicated

Thomas Le January 22, 2020

I installed Jira Software, Jira Core, Confluence, and BitBucket on my own server I have and during the initial installation, I chose evaluation because I haven't paid for the license yet and I did the quick install which did the embedded database. I am pretty sure every time I chose that it said I could migrate it later to a dedicated db. 

I cannot seem to find how to migrate each piece of software database to another database. 

I would just like to be pointed in the direction of the guides to migrate the database of each piece of software over to my dedicated server running postgres. 

Also, I notice that the selections available in Jira Core and Jira Software overlapped. Did I not have to install Core and Software? Can I uninstall Core?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2020

Hello Thomas,

Welcome to the Atlassian community. It depends on your needs, but usually you only install Jira Core or Jira Software and not both.

Also, this is a guide to migrate the database with links to other steps you have to take.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/migrate-from-hsql-embedded-database-to-external-database-in-jira-server-295308246.html

Does this answer your question?

Thomas Le January 23, 2020

Thank you. I will check this out after work today.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2020

Where you able to figure it out? Need any more help?

Thomas Le February 2, 2020

I ended up wiping the server and am starting over because I tried to uninstall core and it messed things up. I also didn't have any data to worry about and wanted to use the licenses so I am reinstalling from scratch on ubuntu 16.04. 

I am having issues but I'll create a new post. 

Like edwin vasquez likes this
Thomas Le February 2, 2020

I just found out that a lot (if not all) of my woes were because I set up HAProxy ahead of time to use subdomains on my domain and remove the need for port numbers in the URL. The log time it takes to set up the initial database and such timed out via haproxy and was screwing things up. 

I just reinstalled jira software and set it up properly and am going to do confluence next. Hopefully it'll play nice with haproxy after it's fully set up. 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

Thomas,

Jira Software runs on top of Jira Core.  You will need to install core and then software.  Most individuals usually only licence one or the other but that is based on your needs.  If you have server then you will have all the core functionality.    Companies will often license core for marketing teams, business teams, etc that do not need the agile functionality that software provides and then license software for their development teams to keep costs down.  We used to do this but cross collaboration on process as well as standardization of process / desire to use features lead us to license software only.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2020

Hello Brant,

Unfortunately, I don’t think this is correct. You can install Jira Software without installing Jira core. I’ve done it many times. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Brant is actually right here.  Technically.

You can not "install Jira Software without installing Jira Core".  Software needs a lot of the functions that Core provides - fields, issues, workflow, users, etc.  If you're running Software, it's running on top of a Core installation.

What you have been installing is a "bundle", not an independent application.  It's Jira Core with Software pre-added to it so you don't have to add it after installing Core. 

Similarly with the Jira Service Desk download - that's still Core with pre-loaded JSD.  Annoyingly, Atlassian don't do a bundle of Software + JSD (which would, of course, include Core because neither work without it)

Like edwin vasquez likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2020

I should’ve worded it better and said you don’t necessarily need two installations with the bundle. Thanks for wording it properly and clarifying. 🙂

Like Thomas Le likes this
Thomas Le January 23, 2020

So I can uninstall the Core package and it will still retain everything because it's included in Software

I still want project management but don't need it in two separate locations. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Possibly.  I need to be very clear on what you have installed.

Have you got Jira running twice?  One Core and one Software?

If so, then yes, you can drop the Core installation (assuming there's no data in it you want to keep).  The Software install has all the functions Core has, because it is actually Core + Software.

Thomas Le January 24, 2020

Thank you. Yes, I have it running twice. The page where I downloaded the packages was not clear that I only needed one so I downloaded both and installed them. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Ok, then you can drop the Core install (assuming it has no data you need to keep) and just do everything in the "Software" installation.

Suggest an answer