Migrating/Mapping users between different ActiveDirectories

Marcus February 11, 2013

Hello everyone,

my jira users reside currently in one ActiveDirectory, connected via crowd. Soon I will start to split these users into different domains. My question is now, how do I map the user DOM1\user to the new user DOM2\same_user account without the user loosing all her/his tickets?

I read somewhere that Jira would decide on the Username if its a new user or the same one? Will this be the display name like "Jane Doe" or is this (more likely) the DOM\username?

kind regards

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcus April 11, 2013

Ok,

some additional informations, what we achieved already

DomA, the domain with the original users, now connected to crowd aswell

DomB, the domain which crowd'n'jira were connected to exclusively before (the duplicate uses existed here)

When the username of a User in DomA equals the username of his User in DomB, everything is fine, we deleted the duplicate user in DomB and everything went fine. The user logs in with his/her login credentials from DomA and still has all his tickets, dashboards, views etc. associated with his account. Searching for the users in Jira shows one user with groups from both ActiveDirectory domains. Jira and crowd are merging users with same usernames into the same jira user object.

Btw. resyncing the directory in crowd does not work. We renamed "auser" to "another.user", after syncing crowd and jira there were two user accounts listed. The old one and the new one. Crowd is caching all user accounts very agressivly. We had to click the update button in the connector settings of the directory before the old user would vanish.

We still have an issue with renaming users, but I will open another question for this. Thanks for all the hints

kind regards

1 vote
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

My opinion: Issues will still be retained. But you need to change access rights to issues.

Possible answer (try in test enviroment first):

Requirement: user in the other domain/s is using the same username

1. Backup CWD_MEMBERSHIP table

2. Prepare plan how to import membership data to jira after change

One possibility:

- you can use formula in worksheet, for example (="<jira:AddUserToGroup username='" & B1 & "' group-name='" &B2& "'/>") to prepare jelly script for all membership records connected with your DIRECTORY_ID.

2. Change Directories

3. Synchronize Directories

4. Import prepared jelly script

Dominik Czajka October 10, 2013

Thank you for this tip Vidic.

I am updating our company's JIRA from 3.13 to 6.1. We have two different domains merged into one internal directory with custom authorisation via NTLM plugin. After migrating all the data to 6.1 database we ended up with only one JIRA Delegetad Authentication Directory - and it only authenticates users from one domain.

I've created another Delegetad Authentication Directory for our second Domain, with autocreation of users. Newly created users have their old issues, but they lost their groups. I tried to modify the table cwd_membership, by replacing old user ids by new user ids, but unfortunately it didn't work.

Luckily Vidic's idea works just fine. Of course i have to prepare script for all the users from the second Domain, but at the end i will have fully functional JIRA 6.1 instead of JIRA 3.13.

Thx once more!

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

I just wanted to echo what Ahmad was saying. JIRA associates usernames with issues. The display name is not linked with the issue in any way. In fact if the display name is changed and JIRA resynched with AD all instances of that display name will change. We are basically using "username" as our primary key.

Why are you splitting your users into two different domains? Is everyone going to remain part of the same AD or are you going to split into two seperate directories?

Marcus February 13, 2013

Two separate directories, we have duplicate users at the moment. Users from both domains are using Jira currently, due to network restrictions we were not able to connect crowd to both directories from the beginning. So, the second domain has user accounts for all Jira'ing users from the first domain as well.

0 votes
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

Hi Marcus,

If the user in the second domain is using the same username, and is being synchronized into JIRA, then I believe that the existing issues of that user will still be retained. Hence as for your question here, I believe that JIRA will decide if the user is an existing user or a new user based on the account username.

I hope that this will help!

Suggest an answer