Migrating Jira with an expired license to a new server (New IP, Hostname)

Dasi Moto May 17, 2021

Hello everyone!

I'm planning to migrate my Jira v7.10.2 Instance from CentOS 7.3 to a RedHat 7.9 Server.

Unfortunately our license is expired and we'll probably migrate into the cloud in the future but right now we cant.

I've read that its possible to migrate an Jira Instance with an expired License to a new Server using the old license. The only issue could be that you cannot have two Instances with the same license.

To my questions:

1. Is it possible to shut down the current Jira instance, take Backups then migrate it to the new server and start it up there while the old one is shut down or do i need to request a developer license?

2. Is an IP change of the Server unproblematic or does it require alot of manual configuration adjustments?

Thank you very much in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

@Dasi Moto  , if you are not planning to upgrade but only migrate, then you should be able to install the same version of jira in the target server and import from backup of the source JIRA.

Dasi Moto May 17, 2021

Thank you for your reply. Yes we are at the highest possible version before the license expired.

In some questions regarding this kind of a migration, some people said you need a developer license and some said you can just use the existing license.

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

@Dasi Moto  , Developer license are for lower environments. 

For migrating your production to a new target, you can use the production license in the target but do note to disable the old instance. 

Refer to https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/get-a-developer-license-for-jira-server-744526918.html and https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/server-app-licensing/ for more details on licenses

Suggest an answer