Migrate users from on demand to hosted with LDAP

Antony Prout August 25, 2014

Hi,

I am currently busy with a project to migrate our On Demand instance of JIRA to a in house instance. At the same time we are also wanting to allow all our current JIRA users to login with their AD login details. All our users details (username, full name & email address) are the same in both JIRA and LDAP so I'm thinking that it should just be a simple mapping process that takes place however I can't seem to find documentation that shows me how to do this mapping. The migrating users page mentions that users that exist in the target directory won't be migrated across but it's not clear if they will be merged or not.

Thanks

Tony

2 answers

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2014

Hi Antony,

Indeed, the best way is to have the users ready before improting your OnDemand data into your own hosted JIRA instance. JIRA use the username as the identifier, so if it is exactly the same as your OnDemand users, it should mapped the history of JIRA content correctly.

However, please note that JIRA does not support cross directory membership. Hence it is necessary for you to build the membership of the new LDAP directories from scracth as it will ignore the previously build membership from OnDemand.

Hope it help.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Antony Prout September 1, 2014

Thanks Septa but I don't quite understand that last sections regarding the memberships.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014

Hi Tony,

When you are migrating into JIRA instance that is already configured with LDAP, the importer looks for the username in the target instance. If a user already exist, it does not create a new user.

Best way is to just test it on a dev environment.

Antony Prout September 1, 2014

Okay so are you saying that when I install JIRA I should setup the connection to our LDAP servers before doing the data import?

Suggest an answer