Migrate jira issues from one server to another

mdcldotio January 4, 2019

I have just migrated from an old server to a new server (both are still active).

I exported the backup and imported it on the new server.  I copied the data folder from the original server to the new server. 

All the users and projects are present but all the issues are missing.

What can I do to import the issues from the old server to the new server?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mdcldotio January 4, 2019

Thanks, I found another way.  I upgraded the older servers jira core and repeated the export process.  The import worked, wish I knew about re-indexing!  Thanks!

S

1 vote
Rodrigo Heinzen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2019

Hello Sean,

If you can see some of the information in your instance but issues are missing, the re-index process most likely failed or was not executed throughout the importing process. In order to gather additional information as to what went wrong and the cause, check the log files for any errors during the import process:

• calatina.out (located in <$JIRA-INSTALL>/logs/)
  • atlassian-jira.log (located in <$JIRA-HOME/log/>

You could also validate if issues were imported or not through your database tables. The following query should return all issues in the environment:

SELECT * FROM jiraissue;

Another test that would help you validate if this could be indexing related would be to manually input the URL of a specific issue and see if the application can access it (e.g. <http://<dns>:port/browse/<PROJECT-KEY>-<ISSUE-NUM>)>

In case no errors occurred during the import process, access the indexing page in JIRA and run a re-index. Your issues should show up afterwards.

On the other hand, if problems during the import process occurred, it is important to not use this instance further as it is defective. The course of action would be to clean up the instance and run the import process once again.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2019

Hello,

Go to System -> Indexing and do the Background reindexig

Suggest an answer