Migrate from on-prem 7.3.x to cloud

Ian Robertson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 6, 2021

I am working for an IT consultancy firm, and we are helping a client move from an old, on-prem version of Jira (v7.3.x) to Jira Cloud.

We want to use the migration tool but we need version 7.6.x to do this. The client doesnt want to spend more on on-prem as they are already a Jira cloud customer.

Is it possible to use an evaluation licence (or cloud migration licence?) to temporarily upgrade the on-prem version to allow us to use the migration tool?

Is there a limit to the number of times you can renew the evaluation licence key? It may take us longer than 30 days to do the migration. They have many projects and 1000s of users, so it may take months to do the move.

Thanks

Ian

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

Hi Ian,

Honestly I would recommend pushing the client to upgrade. By upgrading to a later version there is far less potential that the instance will have data loss when you migrate. I would recommend even going higher than 7.6 too, the newer you go the more likely the migration tool will work which will limit errors.

If it's not an option, a lot of the migration will be more manual with such an old version. There isn't a Cloud migration license and you can use a trial key, but you may want to check out the resources here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Cloud-Migration/ct-p/atlassian-cloud-migration

If you haven't already, I would also recommend opening a migration support case with Atlassian. I know when I did a cloud migration they actually helped with the migration a bit when we got stuck. But as you refine the date for when it will be it allows them to have someone available to assist. 

Best,
Clark

Ian Robertson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 10, 2021

Thank you Clark. We are going to propose to the client using the evaluation licence route to upgrade on-prem to enable the use of the migration tool.

Like Clark Everson likes this

Suggest an answer