Merging/Migrating User between User Directories

Ludovico Quercia October 23, 2017

Hi, I m running Jira 7.3.6 and would to migrate from internal directory to Active directory.

In many info pages I see that:

1.  User Management
  2. Choose User Directories.
  3. Choose Additional Configuration & Troubleshooting (section) > Migrate users from one directory to another.

But in my version "Migrate users from one directory to another." functionality is not present.

So now I have double user (internal and Active Directory) but the new user from active directory don't have group and other settings of original user.

How I can do?

Why "Migrate users from one directory to another." functionality is not present on my server?

Thanks in advancjira.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2017

You won't be able to migrate users from an internal directory into a connected LDAP directory.   You can only migrate these users into a delegated LDAP directory.   This is explained in the Migrating users between user directories - Atlassian Documentation.

You can create a new delegated LDAP connection in Jira and use that in order to move these users from internal into an LDAP instance.

I would recommend that you create a staging server for Jira and test this out first before trying this in a production environment as well.

Ludovico Quercia October 26, 2017

Worked. Thanks!

I used a test environment and I see that using "Delegated" LDAP migration functionality is displayed and works!

Ludovico Quercia November 2, 2017

Now I have a new problem. I have 3 User directory: one internal and 2 delegated LDAP.

Often user are not allowed to login, but if they try again later can enter. i see also that changing user directory priority order change problem issue: the lower the list of priorities the higher the chances of not accessing. It's as if you are at the bottom of the list of directories most likely that the user will not be recognized.

It's like a TimeOut process but I don't see error in log.

For now I disabled "Follow Referral option"

but I don't have il Delegated LDAP the option "Increase the value of Read Timeout"

Some Idea? 

Kagithala Babu Anvesh October 15, 2019

hi @Ludovico Quercia  can you done that .. i'm having the same situation 

Suggest an answer