Members and administrators

Andrea Fontanini December 15, 2022

Hi everyone!

I'm using Jira for project management together with the WBS gantt chart app.

Can you explain the difference between members and administrators? In particular, I would like to know if in the free version there is a way to add members to assign resources without them being able to act on the planning of the entire project, but only on the tasks assigned to them.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shin Asaba
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

Can you explain the difference between members and administrators?

Let me verify if I get your question correctly.
Which one of the cases are you referring to? Members and administrators on a team-managed project in your Jira instance or administrators and other users in your Gantt-Chart?

If you are on a team-managed project in your Jira instance, please refer to the link below for details.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manage-how-people-access-your-team-managed-project/

If you are talking about administrators and other users in Gantt-Chart, details are shown below.

Administrators can perform most of the things such as adding/editing an issue, configuring Gantt, and many more.
Members can add/edit an issue if you enable the Operation by non-administrators feature.
You can disable the Operation by non-administrators feature by deselecting the Allow check box that limits members' roles to view only (Require administrative roles to perform Gantt configuration).

• Click on the gear icon > Select Gantt configuration > Deselect the Allow check box > Click Update Gantt Configuration 5.png

In particular, I would like to know if in the free version there is a way to add members to assign resources without them being able to act on the planning of the entire project, but only on the tasks assigned to them.

You can update your permission schemes to configure grant permission that should meet your requirement.

Note: Please be advised that permission schemes feature are NOT applicable to a team-managed project.

1. Click on the gear icon (Jira administration) > Select Issues > Click Permission schemes under ISSUE ATTRIBUTES menu Permission Scheme 1.png

2. Click on Default software scheme Permission Scheme 2.png
  3. Click Grant permission Permission Scheme 3.png
  4. Click on the drop-down list of Permission and select Edit Issues > Select Current assignee > Click Grant Permission Scheme 4.png

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Andrea Fontanini December 16, 2022

Thank you @Shin Asaba, I really appreciate your suggestions!

Regarding the first part of your answer, I have to manage company-managed projects and not team-managed projects.

About the second part of your answer, I followed the procedure you described. Unfortunately I understand that what you suggested is not feasible in the free version, Infact, this message appears: "Permissions cannot be changed in the Free plan. Upgrade to customize project permissions."

I try to better explain my need. I'm creating company managed projects with Jira, which I then graph using the WBS Gantt-Chart app. Both from the Jira board and from the WBS Gantt Chart app I assign tasks to resources (Jira users). These users, however, can enter projects and modify data, even of tasks not assigned to them. I wouldn't want that to happen. Are there any limitations in the free version to prevent this?

Thanks for your cooperation!

Shin Asaba
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2022

About the second part of your answer, I followed the procedure you described. Unfortunately I understand that what you suggested is not feasible in the free version, Infact, this message appears: "Permissions cannot be changed in the Free plan. Upgrade to customize project permissions."
I try to better explain my need. I'm creating company managed projects with Jira, which I then graph using the WBS Gantt-Chart app. Both from the Jira board and from the WBS Gantt Chart app I assign tasks to resources (Jira users). These users, however, can enter projects and modify data, even of tasks not assigned to them. I wouldn't want that to happen. Are there any limitations in the free version to prevent this?

I understand your concerns.
The only way I can think of to limit your users from updating particular tasks is to update your permission schemes which are not available on a free plan.

Permission Scheme 5.png

I am afraid that I cannot fulfill your requirement.

Like Andrea Fontanini likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events