Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Meaning of Description, Summary, Text.. etc.

What is the field name for the "title" / "subject" of a task / epic / story etc...

i.e. what shows up just below the project and ID of the object?

Documentation is not helpful because it does not define terms but rather just uses the term being defined in the sentence.

For example, looking at the "field reference":

Description:

Search for issues where the description contains particular text.

And then, for Summary:

Summary:

Search for issues where the summary contains particular text

Those two definition are useless... yeah, a Description is a description; but, what part of the task, epic, story, etc.. is the Description vs the Summary etc..

Please update documentation to be more helpful.

AND,... WHAT is that text at the top of an object? what is that called?

1 answer

2 votes

The system field names have been chosen to try to be as close to an explanation of what they're for as possible with a short phrase.

In most cases, I can't really explain it any other way, but working through your list:

• Summary:  A summary of what the issue is about, a short phrase to give you an idea of what the issue is about
  • Description:  Literally, a description of the issue
  • Title: not a standard field, you'll need to ask your admins.  Some people sometimes call the summary a title, but that's not what title means in English.  You probably want to dump this and use the summary.
  • Subject: not a standard field, you'll need to ask your admins.  Probably another synonym for summary in Jira, but a much better synonym than title. But you still probably want to dump this and use the summary.

If you're still stuck on what the fields are for, I can't go any better than "look up Summary and Description in a dictionary"!

ah; yes, a dictionary. I know what this is.

I am not asking "what does the word 'summary' mean in the English language?"

I am asking, "in Jira, the field named 'Summary' is used where on the JIRA UI page and how? When I look at a task / bug / epic etc... on the JIRA page, WHERE is the Summary? And for that matter, Where is the Title? Is there a Subject?"

See a sample JIRA task

SampleJiraDiscussion.png

So, now, with this context....

What is the Summary? the Title? The Subject? etc..

Maybe the documentation should explain that - what each part of the Jira form is called. I do not need the definition of the English word. I can use a dictionary.

Thank you,

Nicolas

Ok, so lets focus on  "In Jira, the field named 'Summary' is used where on the JIRA UI page and how? When I look at a task / bug / epic etc... on the JIRA page, WHERE is the Summary? And for that matter, Where is the Title? Is there a Subject?"

The field summary is usually used to contain a summary of the issue. 

On a Jira page, it appears where you have pointed to in your screenshot, quite prominent because it's the summary and hence what most humans will want to talk about if there's any need to discuss the issue.

Title and Subject are different things to a summary, the words mean different things.  Jira does not have a title or subject field (unless you deliberately add one)

Also "Maybe the documentation should explain that - what each part of the Jira form is called."

It does. It describes the field "summary" as the summary.  Description is described as a description,  The other system fields have names that tell you what they are for.

My feeling here is that you are not asking us the right question.  I can not work out what you are looking for.  You've asked twice about title and subject and I've told you that these are things you are making up (or your admins have added and not explained to you).  I do not know what you are looking for when you ask what a summary is or where it is - it's a summary and it's on screen where most people would expect to see it.  I do not know what more I can tell you about a summary being a summary.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you