May open source projects using JIRA Cloud have private projects?

Open source projects can apply to use JIRA Cloud for free, but there's no further information or contact info aside from a sign-up form — https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request — so I'm asking here:

Is it possible for open source JIRA Cloud admins to set up restricted projects, e.g. a "security" project, which only certain users can see, where members of the public can responsibly disclose security issues?

I would guess that open source JIRA Cloud admins wouldn't be any more restricted than regular JIRA Cloud users, but it would be nice to be sure before going through the sign-up process (though the lack of LDAP support may well be a killer anyway).

1 answer

I really appreciate Atlassians support for Open Source projects by offering JIRA OnDemand for free for those projects. Once you have your OD instance you will surely create a public project for your product. That's what it is for and shows the world how great the product is.

But you can also create other projects that are permitted for a closed user group only or even for yourself. That is very common anyways for Open Source projects, like a beta release test project with a limited amount of beta testers, or an alpha release project for yourself with which you can manage let's say your requirements for a new Open Source product.

You are after all administrator of your OD instance and can create projects and permission schemes as you need them. Atlassian has a great set of products and an awesome policy to support us open source developers. I cannot stress that enough even tho I am not affiliated with them. It is only practical, and I am sure Atlassian agrees, that such an OD instance may also serve closed user group projects.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,237 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot