Maxthreads and MaxActive Inquiry

James Louis-Foster February 21, 2012

Hello

I had a question about the maxactive for jira server.xml settings, what are the downsides to putting this number to let’s say 500?

We currently have over 500 users in our jira infrastructure, but our max active is set to 200- is there some type of formula we should use in regards to setting the maxactive?

What are MaxThreads? I saw this option in our server.xml file aswell

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2012

Hi,

maxactive is the maximum of connections in the database connection pool and can be a bit of trial and error to get the right number for your implementation. If it's too low you exhaust the pool and JIRA cannot open any new connections to the database, set it too high and your database may not be able to handle the load and fall over. If you're not seeing performance issues or exhausted connection pools I'd leave it alone, or run performance tests on your database to find the values where your database falls over.

MaxThreads determines the maximum number of concurrent HTTP requests that the application server can handle and again finding the right value depends on your implementation. Too low and requests are queued up until threads are free, too high and the application server may start slowing down or crashing because it cannot handle that many concurrent requests.

If you're seeing performance issues with your JIRA installtion have a look at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Performance+Tuning as a first step.

Hope that helps?

Andrew.

James Louis-Foster February 23, 2012

Thanks so much for your response-

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events