Marking Epics as Done but it still shows in the side panel

Karen Blatchley January 26, 2018

Although the documentation way of marking an epic as done is to use the dropdown on the backlog page, I have a user that went into the Issue screen for the Epic and changed the status in the workflow to Done.  

This did not seem to have any affect on the Epic, it was still displayed in the side panel.

I don't want to be able to mark the Epic as Done this way, but why does it let you?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

There are two different fields. The resolution and the epic status. Epic status is the one field that makes the epic disappear on the backlog page. The resolution, if set to any value, 'closes' an issue (strike-through). The resolution can have the value "Done".

Karen Blatchley January 29, 2018

Thank you for your quick response!  In what situation would you want to "close" the issue but not have it set to Done.  I am trying to work out when I would use this.

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2018

If you only work on the board, you never have to close epics. Therefore the set to done is sufficient.

If you do more in the classic issue view, by time the done but not closed epics could be visually "sub optimal".

Karen Blatchley February 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  

Suggest an answer