Marking Epic as "Done" on completing an epic in the backlog?

David Lang August 17, 2017

Currently, when changing an Epic's status to "Done" from the backlog, the issue page itself doesn't also change to "Done". Is there a way to automate this transition? I've been looking into backlog transitions, but I can't find anything that can interact with them.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2017

You could do so with a listener. Listen for Issue Created/Issue Updated events, look for changes to field Epic Status, and programatically transition the issue as neccesary. 

David Lang August 17, 2017

I see. I will need to get our sysadmin to install Listeners, but the rest sounds simple enough. Thank you!

David Lang August 18, 2017

Update: There are no listeners on Cloud. I was thinking of having a script adjust epics to their correct statuses periodically.

1 vote
Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2018

Hi @David Lang, @Steven F Behnke,

We use a post-function to update the value of the Epic Status field on transition. That is then used to help us calculate the cycle time of the Epics. And you can do that in Cloud.

This is detailed in Understanding the cycle time of epics in Jira.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Nick Muldoon
Product Manager, Easy Agile

Suggest an answer