Marking Epic as "Done" on completing an epic in the backlog?

Currently, when changing an Epic's status to "Done" from the backlog, the issue page itself doesn't also change to "Done". Is there a way to automate this transition? I've been looking into backlog transitions, but I can't find anything that can interact with them.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Aug 17, 2017

You could do so with a listener. Listen for Issue Created/Issue Updated events, look for changes to field Epic Status, and programatically transition the issue as neccesary. 

I see. I will need to get our sysadmin to install Listeners, but the rest sounds simple enough. Thank you!

Update: There are no listeners on Cloud. I was thinking of having a script adjust epics to their correct statuses periodically.

1 vote

Hi @davidlang, @Steven Behnke,

We use a post-function to update the value of the Epic Status field on transition. That is then used to help us calculate the cycle time of the Epics. And you can do that in Cloud.

This is detailed in Understanding the cycle time of epics in Jira.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Nick Muldoon
Product Manager, Easy Agile

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

688 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you